13-Day Course | 28 July – 10 August 2019
Our two unique English programmes are designed to complement, extend and enrich—but not repeat—the humanities curricula taught in schools. The Academic English Programme offers an intense and challenging pathway to advanced all-round language capability.
For many years we have worked closely with local teachers, witnessed the changing landscape of international education, and developed an Academic English Programme composed equally of tradition and innovation. The Academic English Programme offers students advanced skills, challenging them to:
- Unlock and develop their perspectives on the world
- Open new horizons of thought
- Attain a deeper consciousness of the way things are
Students will benefit from a close relationship with their teacher in small classes, typically of up to a dozen students. A wide variety of innovative student-focussed tasks and activities will engage learners with complex ideas, requiring them to work at the height of their potential—and beyond.
The skills and knowledge offered by the Academic English Programme stand at the very centre of academic study in any subject. In this intensive academic course, students will be immersed in the following key language learning tasks:
- Increasing the clarity, accuracy and fluency of spoken presentation
- Proposing and defending solid, persuasive arguments
- Communicating creatively and appropriately in a variety of social contexts
- Developing a keen sensitivity to the richness of words and style
- Expanding the breadth and depth of personal vocabulary
- Enhancing sophisticated essay-building skills as well as creative writing
- Stimulating consciousness of English as a global language
- Producing critical thinking and self-awareness
- Building self-confidence and appreciating the responsibilities of peer support
- Engaging with the liberal studies of art, literature and politics
Highlights and Visits
- Study Skills Workshop
- Cambridge Style Lectures
- Cambridge Admissions Advice
- Interview Technique Workshop
- Choral Evensong
- Parliamentary and Social Debating
- Academic Presentation
- Concert and Formal Dinner
- Sandringham, The Queen’s Summer Residence
- Cambridge Museums
- Cambridge Shakespeare Festival
- King’s College Chapel
- Punting on the River Cam
- Visit to Oxford for formal lunch in Hall and admissions talk
– Joshua, 2015 cohort
Fees and Registration
2019 Cohort | 28 July – 10 August 2019
GBP £4,388. This covers:
- Tuition and Teaching Materials
- All Meals, including lunches
- Cost of visits and travel to and from the airport
It does not cover air-fares, travel insurance or pocket money.
- Admission to the Academic English Programme is for students aged 12-17 years.
- In some circumstances, we may ask for the applicant to provide a reference from the school and a copy of their latest school report.
- Students from one of our participating schools should apply via their school. (Please follow the School’s own timetable for Applications).
- For individual applications not linked with our participating schools, please download an Application Form below and return it to us by 1 March 2019.