13-Day Course | 2 – 15 July 2023
Our unique English programme is designed to complement, extend and enrich—but not repeat—the curricula taught in schools. The Academic English Programme offers an intense and challenging pathway to advanced all-round language capability.
The Academic English Programme focuses on developing the four key skills of reading, writing, speaking and listening, ensuring that you will be a better all-round communicator in English after the Programme.
A good command of English is essential for academic success both at school and university and is vital when applying to UK boarding or day schools, and universities, enabling you to present yourself at your best at interview or in your UCAS Personal Statement, for example.
For many years we have worked closely with highly experienced and professional teachers in the Cambridge area to develop an Academic English Programme that offers innovative ways of exploring a range of different genres and text types.
The Academic English Programme provides students with advanced skills, challenging them to develop original, personal arguments and to express these with confidence and fluency.
Students will benefit from a close relationship with their teacher in small classes, typically of up to a dozen students. A wide variety of innovative student-focussed tasks and activities will engage learners with complex ideas, enabling them to achieve results beyond their expectations.
The skills and knowledge offered by the Academic English Programme are vital to any subject where English is the medium, for example, Law or History, since all academic disciplines require clarity, precision and accuracy of expression. This intensive academic course aims to achieve the following for each of its participants:
• Increase the clarity, accuracy and fluency of spoken presentation
• Enable students to propose and defend substantial, persuasive arguments
• Encourage students to communicate creatively and appropriately in a variety of social contexts
• Develop an awareness of the significance of specific words and styles
• Expand personal vocabulary
• Develop sophisticated essay-building and creative writing skills
• Encourage an awareness of English as a global language
• Encourage critical thinking and self-evaluation
• Build self-confidence and collaborative skills
• Develop students’ language skills through the appreciation of art and literature
Highlights and Visits
- Study Skills Workshop
- Cambridge Style Lectures
- Cambridge Admissions Advice
- Interview Technique Workshop
- Parliamentary and Social Debating
- Academic Presentation
- Concert and Formal Dinner
- Cambridge Museums
- King’s College Chapel
- Punting on the River Cam
- London Musicals
- Houses of Parliament or British Museum
I enjoyed my time at Cambridge, and I am now determined to enter a world class University like Cambridge. To achieve this goal, I will apply the skills in studying and learning from the lessons to my future learning. Also, I will put more stress on extra-curricular activities, so as to have an all rounded development. I will get to more study trips and get accustomed to more cultures, so as to broaden my horizon and increase my exposure. I am going to strive hard for my ambitions from this trip on
– Joshua, 2015 cohort
Fees and Registration
2023 Cohort | 2 – 15 July 2023
GBP £5,488. This covers:
- Tuition and Teaching Materials
- All Meals, including lunches
- Cost of visits and travel to and from the airport
It does not cover air-fares, travel insurance or pocket money.
- Admission to the Academic English Programme is for students in Form 1 or Year 7 upwards.
- In some circumstances, we may ask for the applicant to provide a reference from the school and a copy of their latest school report.
- Students from one of our participating schools should apply via their school. (Please follow the School’s own timetable for Applications).